Out of 3 daughters Mimi is our middle child, older sister Iza by 3 minutes and a younger sister Magi by 3 years. Mimi was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) on August 12, 2009. After 2 years, 2 months and 26 days on November 6th, 2011 she took her last chemo pill and is considered OFF Treatment! This is our story of our journey through childhood cancer.

Friday, July 15, 2011

A Rather Lengthy Update.

We have been quite busy with fun summer happenings, work, plus our computer at home is being invaded by viruses so it has been hard to get around to update.

Since the last update Mimi was having a lot of stomach issues with every meal, so mid June she started Famotidine (acid reducer) daily and it seemed to help significantly. She is able to finish meals rather than before she would take a bite or two and not be able to eat complaining of stomach pain. She is also still staying away from milk and using Lactose free products.

June 22 Clinic Day. Counts came back pretty good and there were no issues to report or changes made to does of chemo.

July 1st Mimi helped out Dr. G with teaching new residents. She was "modeling" for a "fake" spinal tap (her words.) On a hospital bed and was positioned and prepped for a Spinal puncture, minus the needle and the anesthesia, after Dr. G did his part of explaining, each resident felt Mimi's spine and prepped for the procedure. The were all very nice and thanked her for letting them move her around. She really enjoyed it and later told me she though it was neat that now she knows what happens while she is sleeping.

July 6th Clinic Day. Counts were good, she received her Vincristine through the port and that night started the steroid pulse. It was a rough couple of days, she was very moody, there was a lot of book reading in separate corners but we made it.

July 12th Unscheduled Clinic Visit... Over the weekend Mimi was compaining of stomach pain, which usually comes with steroids but on Monday night through Tuesday morning she did not sleep and was getting progressively worse, around 7am I called the clinic. Never any fever at that point. In the morning I took her and her sisters to clinic to get her checked out, she was miserable. She was sleeping and not amused by anyone which is NOT like her, I knew she was not well. Dr. R thought 1-appendicitis 2-constipation 3-UTI. We stayed at clinic for about 3 hours she got fluids and we waited for blood and urine results, I was so proud of Iza and Magi they were so good sitting and quietly entertaining themselves while Mimi slept. At noon we went over to the main hospital for an ultrasound to check out the appendix, at that point Dan came and took the girls to get them a snack in the cafeteria. Mimi slept through most of the ultrasound which was reasuring that the pain went away and her appendix was just fine. Later we got a script for 10 days of Ciprofloxacin and and her symptoms went away within 24 hours. She was well enough on Friday to be a dare devil with Iza at Six Flags!

No comments:

Post a Comment