Out of 3 daughters Mimi is our middle child, older sister Iza by 3 minutes and a younger sister Magi by 3 years. Mimi was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) on August 12, 2009. After 2 years, 2 months and 26 days on November 6th, 2011 she took her last chemo pill and is considered OFF Treatment! This is our story of our journey through childhood cancer.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Raw Emotions

It is August. I am not sure when I will NOT think back to August 2009. I find myself going back and remembering everything in detail from mid July when Mimi was complaining of random arm pain, not wanting to walk while we were at the zoo, looking pale, all these things... Once thought What if I got it checked earlier? Why did I ignore it? But now I know that this disease just comes camouflaged under regular kid things that I would not normally call a pediatrician about. But every time Iza or Magi get a random sickness I go there... What if? That is what this journey did to me I no longer look at regular kid things regularly.

This past weekend when all the girls got sick I was glad all of them were the same kind of sick, but I flash-backed to two years ago when they were all sick the same way but Mimi was just worse off. I guess the good thing is Mimi doesn't really remember much about the worst of it. I hear Iza and her talk sometimes about the first inpatient stay when we got her diagnosis: "remember when your butt hurt and you went to the hospital", "we got to cut our hair" and about "all the mail that came to the hospital" they don't remember Mimi's screams from pain that required morphine to be administered around the clock, or me crying all night every night not knowing what the future held. They can have the pink and fluffy memories, I will take all the bad ones!

Alot of these thoughts came tonight as today we found out our friends' daughter is in the hospital awaiting further results to find out what type of leukemia she has. My heart breaks for them as they start this fight but I know that little girl will fight and kick this thing in the butt! Please keep this little girls in your prayers tonight.

1 comment:

  1. You'll never think of August the same way (none of us who love you guys will), but as the years in remission tick by, hopefully it will be replaced with more fun memories.

    ReplyDelete