Out of 3 daughters Mimi is our middle child, older sister Iza by 3 minutes and a younger sister Magi by 3 years. Mimi was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) on August 12, 2009. After 2 years, 2 months and 26 days on November 6th, 2011 she took her last chemo pill and is considered OFF Treatment! This is our story of our journey through childhood cancer.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Yuckies...

Poor Mimi had her first case of nausea for most of Friday.

Everytime an alcohol wipe was near her (they use it to clean off her "tubie" to insert her fluids or meds), everytime anyone came in with freshly washed hands in antibacterial soap, and to kicker was the "sleepy medicine" going into her port. She always said she can taste it in her mouth right before she falls asleep but this time it made her vomit. (sorry for TMI!)

Her Spinal Tap went fine and it was pretty quick so we were home by noon. Some people asked why Mimi keeps getting Spinal Taps.
Here is why:
Intrathecal (Spinal Tap) chemotherapy, methotrexate, is also given into the spinal fluid for at least 4 doses, each separated by a week. This chemotherapy helps kill any lymphoma cells in the brain or spinal cord.
I found this site to be neat (Mimi likes to see why she gets things done) http://spinaltap.starlightprograms.org/003.swf

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I saw you linked to Mollie's blog- I'm her mama, Sarah. Sorry to hear you have joined this club. I haven't read through your whole blog yet, but I just wanted to say hello. Not even two months into treatment, I'm sure you are still overwhelmed with the whole situation.Feel free to e mail me directly at sarahdmertz at yahoo dot com if you want.

    You can put a little dab of flavored lip balm just below her nose and that might help with the nausea from the smells.

    Take good care!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Welcome I guess! I can honestly say, that I wish we'd never met! Well, at least not this way anyway.

    Thanks for the comments, and feel free to stop by anytime. If you want to complain then email me.

    Does the Zofran not work for her?

    Good Luck. It becomes normal if that makes sense. It will in about 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sarah! We will try the lip balm tomorrow (Friday is clinic day) I hope it works since she is already dreading it :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will welcome "normal"
    Zofran did the trick today I think it is the antibiotics that are so rough for her that nothing seems to help, although Ativan worked one day this weekend. I guess it is trial; and error.

    ReplyDelete