So the plan is we are going to wait until tomorrow to see which gram-negative bacteria is growing, to make sure we have the correct antibiotic to treat it. Also to see if the blood culture from yesterday has grown anything, so far it has not, it might be because the original as contaminated or the antibiotics she is getting for the ear infection are helping. Infectious Diseases wants Mimi to stay overnight and more than likely discharged tomorrow.
The question came up, How serious is this infection? Reality is that if we know it is in fact in her blood, and once we know which one it is, the doctors will know which antibiotic will get rid of it and she will be fine. Another question if she does have this bacteria, how did she get it? She is a kid and could have gotten it anywhere, being immunosuppressed she has a higher chance of catching things.
She looks fine, she is eating, and had loads of energy, she has been having tricycle races all over the 4th floor, it is quite fun to keep up with her IV pole, come on down and try it.